The Following’s second season came to an end tonight in the UK just 24 hours after it concluded in the US.
If you haven’t seen the latest episode of The Following and do not wish to read any spoilers we recommend you stop reading now. If you have seen the episode continue reading.
As the credits rolled on the episode and Mark (Sam Underwood) was driven away by a mystery person we found ourselves asking quite a few questions. As we’ve got just under a year to wait until the show returns for a third season we thought we’d share our questions with you.
If anyone has an answer to any of them please leave your comments in the usual place.
1. If Ryan Hardy (Kevin Bacon) really wanted things to ‘end’ with Joe Carroll (James Purefoy) then why didn’t he shoot him when he got the chance?
2. Claire Matthews (Natalie Zea) came back for the sole purpose of killing Joe. Why then did she tell Ryan he did the right thing at the end of the episode?
3. Was there any point at all to the car crash? We failed to see one if there was.
4. Is Luke (Sam Underwood) secretly invincible? After being beaten close to death by Mike Weston (Shawn Ashmore) earlier in the season, Luke was then shot in the shoulder before he finally met his fate.
5. Was it just us or did the entire plot with Kingston Tanner (Tom Cavanaugh) come to absolutely nothing? It felt like it was used purely to fill up some episodes and when his son Preston (Carter Jenkins) was shot at the start of the finale we were left thinking ‘what was the point in that’?
6. Will Ryan ever learn that getting a Chinese takeaway is a bad omen? Two season finales and he’s still not getting the message.
7. Who was Mark meeting with at the end? Was it Carrie Cooke (Sprague Grayden) or was it someone else? There weren’t too many options left seeing as most people were killed this season.
8. Could Maxton (Max and Weston) actually have a future together? Apparently Max finds Weston’s passive aggressive, out of control behaviour attractive. Well good luck to her!
9. Does anyone know how the psycho twins managed to find Claire at the Inn? There isn’t any plausible way we can think of that they would have known about or found that location.
10. Does anyone else think that history will repeat itself in season 3? After all Joe started off the first season in prison only to be broken out by his followers. Surely the remaining followers will just do the same again won’t they?
11. Have we seen the end of Claire? We hope not but then if she’s going to return next season only to be kidnapped and used as a pawn between Ryan and Joe we’d rather she stayed well away.
The Following will return in January 2015 for its third season.