The Elementary season four finale aired in the UK earlier this month (read our recap). It was quite a different season thanks to the introduction of Sherlock’s (Jonny Lee Miller) father, Morland Holmes (John Noble). The season saw Sherlock get past his relapse from the end of last season, improve his relationship with his father, find himself a girlfriend and also become closer than ever with Watson (Lucy Liu).
If you haven’t seen the final episode of Elementary season four yet and want to avoid spoilers then please stop reading now. If you are up-to-date and want to relive the action, or just don’t mind spoilers, then please keep on reading.
The season finale was titled ‘A Difference in Kind’ and focused on the organisation previously ran by Moriarty. Sherlock reluctantly had to call on the help of his father Morland to deal with the situation.
Images from the season four finale can be seen in our gallery below:
[gss ids=”870988,870987,870986,870985,870983,870982,870981,870980″ carousel=”fx=carousel”]
At the end of the episode, following the death of Vikner, Morland took over the organisation to protect Sherlock and Watson. He also stated that he would aim to dismantle it from within.
Here’s our top 10 things we want from Elementary season 5:
- Sherlock to come to terms with his father’s decision. Sherlock never felt that Morland was capable of sacrifice. So he was surprised when his father took over the organisation to free him and Watson. Will Morland’s decision improve or hurt their relationship?
- Morland Holmes to still feature. We know that John Noble won’t be a series regular in season 5 but we do hope to see him from time to time. He’s a fascinating character and his interactions with Sherlock were some of the best moments this season.
- Some time back in London. With Morland relocating back to London it would make sense for Sherlock to spend some time with him there. Other new locations would also be welcome.
- A catch up with Kitty and Lestrade. If we do go to London then it would make sense to catch up with the characters portrayed by Ophelia Lovibond and Sean Pertwee.
- Fiona to return. Betty Gilpin was perfect as Sherlock’s girlfriend and brought out a different side to him. We’d love to see their relationship continue.
- Watson’s half sister Lin (Samantha Quan) to return. It was a huge surprise for fans and Watson to learn this season that she has a half sister. Lin seemed a complex character and we still don’t know a great deal about her. They vowed to work on their relationship so there are plenty more stories to tell here.
- Sherlock and Watson to continue to stick together. Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu are wonderful on screen together. The show has tried to drive them apart several times but it’s clear that they need each other. Whatever happens the show works best when they are there to bounce off each other and we hope it stays that way.
- Mycroft to return. We know that Mycroft is alive and in hiding. Rhys Ifans did a brilliant job with the character and we’d love to see him and Sherlock back on screen together again.
- Moriarty to return. If Morland sticks to his word to dismantle the organisation then it would make sense to bring back Moriarty. Natalie Dormer was superb as the character and has a hold over Sherlock like no other.
- More Captain Gregson & Detective Bell. Aidan Quinn and Jon Michael Hill took more of a backseat this season. It would be great to see them a little more regularly.
Elementary will return in late 2016 for season 5 on CBS in the US followed by Sky Living in the UK.