The fifth season of Homeland has now finished and it remained one of the most gripping shows on TV.
If you haven’t seen the season 5 finale of Homeland and want to avoid spoilers, we suggest you stop reading now. If you have seen it and want to hear our thoughts on season 6 then keep reading.
The fifth season of the show saw Carrie (Claire Danes) trying to move on from past events with a new life in Germany. She’d left the CIA behind and was now working a new job while living with her new partner Jonas and enjoying being a mum to her daughter Franny.
Her happiness was short-lived as she was forced to go on the run after surviving an assassination attempt. The season was full of its usual twists and turns and saw the return of favourite characters Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin), Quinn (Rupert Friend) and Dar Adal (F Murray Abraham).
As the season came to an end, Carrie had tracked down those responsible for trying to assassinate her, identified a double agent at the CIA and saved Berlin from a terrorist attack. However she was left with many hard decisions to make. Should she go back to the CIA? Marry Otto? Kill Quinn?
The show will return for a new season in 2016 and I’ve pulled together a list of things I’d like to see when it does.
Keep reading to find out my thoughts on Homeland season 6…
- Carrie to go back to the CIA. Saul made Carrie an offer I didn’t think she would refuse but she did. Maybe she just needs a little time to think about it or the right motivation to jump back in. Whatever happens I’m feeling fairly confident that she’ll be back with Saul at some point next season.
- Saul to become director of the CIA. He missed out on the position thanks to Carrie but the pair have done a lot in season 5 to fix things. Saul deserves another chance at the top and I really hope it happens for him next season.
- Quinn to survive. Sadly it really looked like the end for Quinn who had a really rough season. However he’s one tough cookie and I’m hoping that Carrie changed her mind and that he makes some form of recovery. He’s become a big part of the show and I’d like to see him and Carrie have a proper chance together. #PrayForQuinn
- Allison to survive. The character is pure evil and surely dead but if there’s a chance she could have survived I’d love to see her back for more. The Russians certainly wouldn’t be happy at the thought of Allison in the hands of the Americans.
- A different location. Moving the season to Germany gave the show a new lease of life and enabled new storylines. The researchers behind the show were scarily accurate in line with recent world events and I’m sure they have plenty more ideas up their sleeves for next season.
- Carrie to not marry Otto During. An offer of marriage from a billionaire must surely be tempting but I just can’t see Carrie going for it. If she does their relationship will surely be a big focus for the next season and as much as Otto might want it there’s little chemistry between the characters.
- Carrie to go off her meds again. Claire Danes is at her best when playing manic Carrie and watching the character go off her meds always leads to surprising outcomes.
- Laura Sutton and Numan to not return. I’ve actually enjoyed both of these characters this season but would like to see them left out of season 6. I could definitely see them reappear in a future season.
- More shocks, twists and turns. Homeland is at its best when you don’t know what is really going on or when it throws you a curve ball that you really didn’t predict. I’m hoping season 6 keeps the surprises coming.
- Brody to return. Ok this is a big ask and probably not ever going to happen but we didn’t actually see Brody die in season 3. Damien Lewis and Claire Danes worked so well together I’d love to see Brody still alive. If not can we at least have another flashback or psychotic episode with him in? #BringBackBrody
Homeland returns for a sixth season in 2016.