We may only be part way through the show’s third season here in the UK but season 4 will be arriving in the US later this month.
If you haven’t seen the third season and don’t want any spoilers then we suggest you stop reading now. If you have seen it and want to know what’s coming up in season 4 then keep reading.
The season 3 finale dealt a few hefty blows when Fitz (Tony Goldwyn) and Mellie’s (Bellamy Young) son was murdered and Maya Pope (Khandi Alexander) was framed for it. It was actually Rowan (Joe Morton) that was behind it and pretended to kill Maya to get Fitz’s trust back and to be reinstated as head of B613.
Olivia (Kerry Washington) meanwhile hopped on a plane with Jake (Scott Foley) leaving all the drama behind and betraying Abby (Darby Stanchfield), Huck (Guillermo Diaz) and Quinn (Katie Lowes). Before they left Jake sent all of the B613 files to David (Joshua Malin) so he could take the organisation down.
Ahead of the show’s fourth season we’ve rounded-up all of the latest news so you’re prepared when the show returns.
Columbus Short will not be returning as Harrison Wright with creator Shonda Rhimes confirming that the character was killed off in the ambiguous scene at the end of the third season
New cast additions
There are quite a few recurring stars and guest stars announced for season 4 already but very little detail on the characters they will play.
- Portia de Rossi is joining the show as part of a major arc
- Sonya Walger (Lost) will be a recurring character as an old friend of Olivia’s
- Matthew Del Negro (Mistresses) is set to play a recurring character
- Mary McCormack (Murder One), Josh Randall (Pushing Daisies) and Kelen Coleman (The Office) will all guest over the course of the season
As always Shonda Rhimes is holding her cards very close to her chest but we’ve managed to find out a few tidbits about the upcoming season:
- The first episode of the season is entitled Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia and is written by Shonda Rhimes
- The impact of Harrison’s death will be felt by everyone but dealt with in different ways. Olivia will take the news the hardest
- Olivia’s decision to leave with Jake will have consequences when it comes to her OPA staff
- The Gladiators will have disbanded in light of Olivia’s departure but Olivia will return to D.C. to try and put things right
- Viewers can expect to find out a lot more about Abby in season four with Rhimes saying ‘season 4 is Abby’s season’
- Mellie will be a different woman this season following the death of her son and fans can expect more development with Vice President Andrew (Jon Tenney)
- Fitz will learn the truth about Rowan’s role in his son’s death in the first half of the season
- The focus of season 4 will be on the core characters now that Kerry Washington has had her baby and can resume a normal filming schedule
Scandal will return in the US on 25th September 2014 on ABC and is expected to follow in the UK early 2015 on Sky Living HD.