Earlier today Framed launched their crowd-funding campaign on Kickstarter. In under eight hours they have already smashed their initial goal of $75,000. Starting from $399 for a 24-inch model, Framed is a seamlessly designed Internet enabled display that allows you to showcase digital artwork in everyday environments.
Framed is the world’s first canvas for digital art. It displays various works of art on an elegant screen that is easily installed on your wall. Perfect for home and office use, in shops, galleries and at events, Framed transforms your space with cutting-edge digital artwork on its stunning HD screen. This innovative display allows you to collect and display artwork from all over the world, meaning the power of expression is yours.
Available in 24-inch and 40-inch models, each frame displays 16.7 million colors from a 180° viewing angle. A classic design with a wooden finish, plus additional options for custom colors, means Framed fits perfectly into any environment. You can interact with the device using simple hand gestures, a fluid system that allows for an effortless user experience. A free smartphone app also connects the device to your mobile and allows you to browse images on the web, sending them to your device with the swipe of a finger. This immersive and interactive experience brings digital art into everyday life.
The wealth of artwork on the Internet means Framed can be enjoyed by art novices and more experienced visual artists alike. The device supports most media types including GIF animation, video, graphics, openFrameworks, Flash and Processing. Aspiring artists are encouraged to share their own creations, curate a selection of their favorite artists and get their ideas Framed on walls around the world. FRM has worked with a number of prolific artists including Aaron Koblin and Universal Everything to bring you digital artwork specifically designed for Framed. The diversity of art available means Framed works for every occasion.
[quote by=”FRM Co-Founder and Creative Director Yugo Nakamura”]As designers ourselves, we couldn’t be more excited to create a marketplace where artists can freely publish and sell their work. The evolution of technology and accessibility of the Internet has brought out a wonderful range of digital art, and now we have an innovative way of sharing that art, and presenting it in way that pays respect to the artists that created them. We’re very excited to be sharing this idea with the Kickstarter community and gaining their feedback, as well as opening digital art to the every day consumer.[/quote]
- Supports unlimited media types: photography, graphics and illustration, GIF animation, video, Flash, Processing, and openFrameworks
- Powered with the same graphics libraries supported in modern-day web browsers: OpenGL, WebGL, DirextX, Java 3D, and Three.js
- Create interactive works using motion, sound, gestures and various data inputs from third-party applications or services
- Instantly display artworks from anywhere in the room, directly from your iPhone or Android smartphone
- Online marketplace for artists to publish and sell their artwork on Framed
- Dimensions: 24-inch (553 Height x 321 Width x 18 Depth)
- Dimensions: 40-inch (976 Height x 550 Width x 29 Depth)
- Weight: 5lbs (2.3kg), 22lbs (10kg)
- Full-HD 1080p IPS display
- 16.7 million colors
- Quad-core CPU up to 2.4 GHz
Interactivity & I/O
- Smartphone integration
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- Motion sensors
- Gesture recognition
- 720p camera
- 2x stereo speaker outputs
- Mono microphone input
Framed is also integrated with the free Framed iOS smartphone app, allowing you to explore and build a collection of artwork from across the web for a more interactive experience.