Asleep at the Wheel have announced the release of new album New Routes on 19th October 2018 through Thirty Tigers.
The record will be the band’s first new material in over a decade. The 11-track release features a blend of originals and covers touching on country, jazz, jump blues, rockabilly, Western Swing and folk.
Seth and Scott Avett of The Avett Brothers appear on album closer Willie Got There First, a song penned by Seth. The album also features covers of Guy Clark’s Dublin Blues and Paolo Nutini’s Pencil Full of Lead.
Founder/leader Ray Benson co-wrote original track Call It a Day Tonight with fiddler and recent band addition, Katie Shore. It’s the first time since the 80s he’s co-written with a member of the band.
Asleep at the Wheel comprises of founder/leader Ray Benson (lead guitar and vocals), Katie Shore (fiddle and vocals), Eddie Rivers (steel and sax), David Sanger (drums), Dennis Ludiker (fiddle, mandolin, vocals), Josh Hoag (bass), Connor Forsyth (piano and vocals), and Jay Reynolds (sax and clarinet).
The track listing for New Routes is:
1. Jack I’m Mellow (Public Domain / Arranger Ray Benson)
2. Pencil Full of Lead (Paolo Nutini)
3. Call It a Day Tonight (Ray Benson, Katie Shore)
4. Seven Nights to Rock (Buck Trail, Henry Glover, Louis Innis)
5. Dublin Blues (Guy Clark)
6. I Am Blue (Katie Shore)
7. Pass the Bottle Around (Ray Benson)
8. Big River (Johnny Cash / House of Cash Inc (BMI))
9. Weary Rambler (Katie Shore)
10. More Days Like This (Seth Walker, Gary Nicholson)
11. Willie Got There First ft. Seth and Scott Avett of The Avett Brothers (Seth Avett)