Greg Allman’s final studio album Southern Blood will be released on 8th September 2017 through Rounder Records it has been announced.
The album is available for pre-order now and on 4th August a limited edition numbered double-sided picture disc will be available at local record shops or with pre-orders of the album via greggallman.com.
Southern Blood is the follow-up to Allman’s 2011 release Low Country Blues. Allman collaborated on his final album with manager and fried Michael Lehman and producer Don Was.
“As his producer, I was dedicated to helping Gregg crystallize his vision for the record and to help make sure that this vision made it to the tape,” says Was. “He was a musical hero of mine and, in later years, had become a good friend. The gravitas of this particular situation was not lost on me. Gregg was a sweet, humble man with a good heart and good intentions and it was a great honor to help him put his musical affairs in order and say a proper farewell.”
“Gregg was very excited to be in the studio,” says Lehman. “He was especially thrilled to be recording this studio album with his solo band – he was so proud of them and loved the sound that they produced together. Gregg felt close to every single one of them. The Gregg Allman Band was like a family or a well oiled machine, always knowing what the other band members were thinking and doing.”
Southern Blood was recorded at FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama.
The track listing for Southern Blood is:
1. My Only True Friend (Gregg Allman-Scott Sharrard)
2. Once I Was (Tim Buckley-Larry Beckett)
3. Going Going Gone (Bob Dylan)
4. Black Muddy River (Jerome J. Garcia-Robert C. Hunter)
5. I Love the Life I Live (Willie Dixon)
6. Willin’ (Lowell George)
7. Blind Bats and Swamp Rats (Jack Avery)
8. Out of Left Field (Dewey Lindon Oldham Jr.-Dan Penn)
9. Love Like Kerosene (Scot Sharrard)
10. Song for Adam featuring Jackson Browne (Jackson Browne)
Watch the trailer for Souther Blood below: