The season finale of Supergirl’s second season certainly brought a lot of twists and turns.
If you haven’t seen season 2 of Supergirl and want to avoid spoilers, we suggest you stop reading now. If you have seen it and want to hear our thoughts on the next season, keep reading.
Kara (Melissa Benoist) defeated Rhea (Teri Hatcher) and rid National City of the Daxamites using a device built by Lillian (Brenda Strong) and Lena (Katie McGrath). The device dispersed lead, which is deadly to Daxamites, forcing them to leave the planet and killing Rhea. It also meant that Mon-El (Chris Wood) had to be sent away in a pod, which hit a snag when he was drawn into a wormhole.
Meanwhile it was hinted that Reign was going to be introduced in the third season (something that has now been confirmed with the casting of Odette Annable) when a flashback showed an unknown faction sending another infant to Earth.
Elsewhere Alex (Chyler Leigh) proposed to Maggie (Floriana Lima) and Cat (Calista Flockhart) resumed her position at CatCo following a lengthy absence.
With only a few months to wait until the show returns, I’ve put together a list of the 10 things I want to see next season….
1. Mon-El to return. I have a feeling he’ll be absent for a large part of the first half of the season but I hope I’m wrong. Chris Wood brought a real energy to Supergirl that pepped up the second season and he has solid chemistry with Kara. I’d imagine Kara will devote part of the season to finding him now he’s lost in a wormhole!
2. Some creative writing around Alex and Maggie’s relationship. It’s looking increasingly likely that Maggie won’t be accepting Alex’s marriage proposal and that is because actress Floriana Lima isn’t going to be a series regular in season 3. This is due to her availability but I’m hoping that the writers don’t just end Sanvers and figure out a way to keep the relationship together. I love this pairing and the storyline has been bold and pretty damn beautiful.
3. Cat to come back full time. This is a pipe dreams as Calista Flockhart was unable to move to her life to Vancouver when the show left its original filming home of Los Angeles. I hope we get to see more of her than we did during season 2 because she’s in many ways the backbone of the show. Flockhart is wonderful in the role and Cat’s talks with Kara are always highlights of any episode.
4. James (Mechad Brooks) to evolve a bit more. Even though he established himself as Guardian, and struggled with it, I still don’t feel that James is a very well fleshed-out character. Since the short-lived romance with Kara, it’s felt like the writers don’t really know what to do with him and that’s a shame as Brooks is a superb actor.
5. Lena to embrace her inner Luthor. There were glimpses that Lena may not be that different from the rest of her family throughout season 2 but she’s yet to do anything utterly dastardly. The relationship between Kara and Lena is very similar to that of Clark and Lex’s in Smallville so inevitably it’s going to go south pretty soon. I want to see Katie McGrath really get a chance to explore the darker side of Lena this season.
6. Reign to be a fully fleshed out villain. If there’s any criticism I have of Rhea in season 2, it’s that she wasn’t all that well fleshed out and she appeared far too late in the season. Villains work better when they have a full arc that spreads across a season, rather than a handful of episodes in the back 12.
7. Lyra Strayd (Tamzin Merchant) to stick around. I’ll admit that I was pretty surprised at how much I liked Lyra. The writers managed to turn her round from being a criminal to a much more rounded character. I liked her chemistry with Winn too and that she’s part of the Guardian fold. Let’s hope she gets a bit more screen time next season.
8. Winn (Jeremy Jordan) to get more prominent storylines. OK so he got a little more to do in season 2 but I don’t feel like Jeremy Jordan’s talents are being used to their full capacity. He’s got a knack for comedy, which is clear, but it would be nice to see him have one storyline that doesn’t require him to be someone else’s right hand man.
9. More crossovers. Supergirl feels the most detached from the wider Arrowverse, mostly because the four-way crossover last season was a last minute job when Supergirl changed networks. The show has built up solid links with The Flash but it could do more to integrate better with Arrow and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow. Fingers crossed this year’s four-way crossover is epic!
10. Some more guest stars from the wider Superman universe. I know we’re getting Erica Durance, who will be taking over as Kara’s Krypton mother Alura, but I’d like to see some other familiar faces too. Surely Tom Welling can be convinced to guest on the show or maybe Allison Mack can reprise her role as Chloe? Rumours about the latter have been circulating for a while.
Supergirl will return to The CW in the US and Sky 1 HD in the UK later this year.
[brid video=”151597″ player=”531″ title=”Supergirl Season 2 Team Up official trailer (2016)”]