Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) was seen hurtling into the middle of a worm hole in the gripping season 1 finale of The Flash, which aired tonight in the UK.
If you haven’t seen the season 1 finale of The Flash and want to avoid spoilers then we suggest you stop reading now. If you have seen it and want to hear our thoughts on season 2 then keep reading.
The Flash debuted to massive ratings on The CW in the US last autumn and the show has consistently pulled in a strong audience throughout its debut season. A new take on the story of Barry Allen aka The Flash that crosses over with The CW’s other hit series Arrow, The Flash has been a hit with fans and critics delivering a near flawless first season.
Over the course of the season Barry worked with the S.T.A.R. Labs team headed up by Dr. Wells (Tom Cavanagh) to learn how to use his new abilities and protect Central City. The core story for the season was the murder of Barry’s mother by the Reverse-Flash, something he tried to go back in time and change but failed in the season finale. It was revealed that the Reverse-Flash was really Eobard Thawne (Matt Letscher) who inhabited Dr. Wells’ body and had travelled back in time with the aim of destroying Barry.
The season ended with the shock death of Eddie (Rick Cosnett) who sacrificed himself to stop Eobard, and Barry attempting to prevent the worm hole from swallowing up and destroying Central City. The episode also threw up the brain-scratching idea of parallel universes and multiple timelines as we head into the second season later in the year.
Ahead of the show’s eagerly awaited return this autumn, we’ve put together our hopes for the second season.
1. Barry to become more confident about his abilities. Now that Dr. Wells/Eobard is out of the way, Barry is free to explore the limits of his abilities and be much more confident with them. He’s come on leaps and bounds in season 1 and we expect him to continue to grow in season 2.
2. Jay Garrick. There was a strong hint that Jay was on his way when his helmet appeared during the season finale. The original Flash would be interesting to have in the world of Barry’s Flash and opens up the world of Earth-Two, which has been strongly hinted at.
3. Wally West. The showrunners for The Flash have already been teasing the introduction of more speedsters for the show’s second season and we’re hoping one of those is Wally. In the comics he’s the nephew of Iris (Candice Patton) and we’d love to see Barry getting a sidekick in the new season.
4. Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) to become Killer Frost. We got a little over-excited when we saw Caitlin as Killer Frost for a brief second in the finale. We hope that she makes the transition early on in season 2 and we can’t wait to see how that changes her relationships with everyone. We also suspect that her transformation could be something to do with Ronnie’s (Robbie Amell) fate – he’s ominously missing from Legends of Tomorrow and could have been killed in The Flash season finale.
5. Cisco (Carlos Valdes) to become Vibe. The foundations are already there with Cisco being able to remember things from alternate timelines. He’s one of our favourite characters on the show and getting to grips with his emerging powers is something we want to see.
6. A more integrated role for Iris. Quite understandably Iris spent much of the first season on the outside of the main storylines. Now that she knows Barry is The Flash, we think she could play a bigger role alongside Caitlin, Cisco and Joe (Jesse L. Martin). After all she has her eyes and ears to the ground for her day job, which can only serve to help Barry can’t it?
7. The real Dr. Wells. We know that Tom Cavanagh is still a regular for season two and it stands to reason that the real Dr. Wells would be alive if Eobard had been erased from existence. How will he fit into the bigger picture? It’s a minefield to think about it but it’ll be interesting to see how the S.T.A.R. labs team reacts to the real Dr. Wells in their lives.
8. Barry and Iris to get closer. We know that they marry in the future but first there’s going to be the issue of Eddie’s death for Iris to get past. It won’t be plain sailing for these two but we want to see them working things out over the course of the season.
9. More Arrow crossovers. We’ve loved the way that The Flash and Arrow have crossed over this past season. It’s been a real thrill to see Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) travelling over to Central City and Cisco helping Laurel (Katie Cassidy) perfect the Canary Cry. We also love it when Barry and Oliver (Stephen Amell) team up too!
10. Legends of Tomorrow set-up. We’re assuming that Hawkgirl (Ciara Renee) and possibly Rip Hunter (Arthur Darvill) may appear in season 2. Hawgirl was seen momentarily in the season finale and Rip Hunter was mentioned by Eobard. We’re hoping to properly meet both of these characters before they run off to regulars in Legends of Tomorrow.
The Flash will return to The CW in the US and Sky 1 HD in the UK for a second season later this year.