Grey’s Anatomy returns in the US for its 11th season this month and things are going to be looking a bit different with the departure of a major character at the end of season 10.
If you don’t want to read any spoilers about the new season of Grey’s Anatomy then we suggest you stop reading now. If you want to find out all the latest information then keep reading.
The season 10 finale of Grey’s Anatomy waved goodbye to Cristina Yang (Sandra Oh) who headed off to Zurich with Shane (Gaius Charles) to take off Burke’s (Isaiah Washington) hospital. That wasn’t the only drama though as Cristina left her shares in Grey Sloan Memorial to Alex (Justin Chambers) and Richard (James Pickens Jr) told Bailey (Chandra Wilson) that the seat on the board would be hers.
Meredith had the most unsettling time at the end of the season. After Cristina’s departure Derek (Patrick Dempsey) was angry to find out Meredith didn’t want to move to Washington D.C. with him. Add to that the reveal that Meredith has another half-sister and we’re in for a rough ride in season 11.
We’ve rounded-up all of the latest intel on the new season for you so you know what to expect when the show returns.
It was announced before the end of season 10 that Sandra Oh would not be returning to the series as Cristina in season 11. It was also confirmed that Gaius Charles aka Shane and Tessa Ferrer aka Leah wouldn’t be returning either.
New cast additions and returns
There will be some new faces this season including:
- Caterina Scorsone as Dr. Amelia Shepherd – the actress will be a series regular after appearing in several episodes at the end of season 10.
- Patrick Fabian will recur this season as Alex’s new box Dr. Lebackes
- Kate Burton will appear in flashbacks as Dr. Ellis Grey as the backstory for her daughter with Richard is fleshed out
- Kelly McCreary will recur throughout the season as Dr. Maggie Pierce, Meredith’s half-sister
- Geena Davis will join the show in a major recurring role as a surgeon
- Annet Mahendru (The Americans) will guest star in one episode
- The first episode of the season is entitled I Must Have Lost It on the Wind and was directed by Kevin McKidd aka Owen.
- The second episode of the season is entitled Puzzle With a Piece Missing.
- Season 11 is going to be very Meredith-centric creator Shonda Rhimes has confirmed with Meredith and Derek’s marriage taking a beating with their very separate views of the future.
- Meredith and Alex will grow closer which may cause issues with Jo (Camilla Luddington) but fear not romance isn’t on the cards.
- Owen will start to move on from Cristina and his potential love interest is none other than Amelia.
- Jackson (Jesse Williams) and April (Sarah Drew) will deal with impending parenthood and the birth of their baby.
- Callie (Sara Ramirez) and Arizona (Jessica Capshaw) will face more relationship troubles as they realise surrogacy isn’t the answer to fixing their issues.
Grey’s Anatomy returns in the US on ABC Thursday 25th September 2014. It is expected to air on Sky Living HD in the UK later in the year.