Arrow’s action-packed second season finale aired last night in the UK and we were left with our jaws on the floor.
If you haven’t seen the second season finale of Arrow then we suggest you stop reading now so we don’t spoil anything for you. If you have seen it then continue reading to find out our thoughts on the next season.
Where do we begin with the second season finale? Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell), Sara Lance (Caity Lotz), Diggle (David Ramsey), Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) and Roy Harper (Colton Haynes) joined forces with Nyssa al Ghul (Katrina Law) and the League of Assassins to take down Slade Wilson (Manu Bennett) and his warriors.
There have been many shocks over the season including the deaths of Moira Queen (Susanna Thompson), Isabel Rochev (Summer Glau) and Sebastian Blood (Kevin Alejandro). There was also the jaw-dropping revelation that Malcolm Merlyn (John Barrowman) was Thea Queen’s (Willa Holland) real father and he returned from the dead. In the season finale he left Starling City with Thea in tow as she became distrustful of everyone around her.
Let’s not forget that Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy) is now in on the secret of Team Arrow and Detective Lance’s (Paul Blackthorne) life was left hanging in the balance after his injuries got the better of him. The backstory for Oliver also moved on with his getting off the island thanks to Amanda Waller (Cynthia Addai-Robinson) and arriving in Hong Kong.
Wow! Well all of that provides plenty of food for thought as we think ahead to the third season of the show. We’ve listed the 10 things we want to see when the show returns in the autumn:
1. Oliver rebuilding his life. Season 2 was a huge season for Oliver as he lost his mother, dealt with the return of Sara, let more people in on his secret, lost his business to Isabel and felt the repercussions of not killing Slade years earlier. We expect Oliver to be dealing with some serious guilt and now he’s lost Thea, his last remaining family member, to Malcolm we can’t imagine season 3 is going to be easy for him. He’s got a lot of work to do and the responsibility of leading the ever-expanding Team Arrow is more pressure than ever before.
2. Laurel to become Black Canary. The finale suggested that Sara had handed over the mantle to Laurel as she headed off with Nyssa and the League of Assassins. Now that Laurel is in on Oliver’s secret and proven she’s made of tougher stuff it’s time for her to join Team Arrow and assume the identity of Black Canary.
3. Sara Lance to return. Even though it seems Laurel will be taking her place on Team Arrow, we hope there’s room for Sara to return in season 3. There’s unfinished business between her and Oliver and it seems cruel for her to have finally told her family she’s alive to then disappear again so quickly. Plus she’s an awesome character and Caity Lotz is very watchable.
4. Olicity moments. That red herring moment in the season finale where Oliver said he loved Felicity later turned out to be part of his plan to defeat Slade. The moment between the two on the island suggested that Oliver may not have been completely making up his feelings for Felicity. With Sara out of the way is there anything to stop Oliver and Felicity getting together? We suspect this one will be dragged out for a while so the best we can hope for are a few Olicity moments that further clarify the changing relationship between the two characters.
5. Thea to turn to the dark side. We know that John Barrowman will be a series regular for the next season as Malcolm Merlyn. With Thea’s life in tatters following season 2 it seems she will turn to Malcolm to help rebuild her life. Inevitably that means turning against Oliver and we think she’s going to be part of the big bad next season along with her murderous father.
6. More Roy! Ok so Roy got a fair bit of screentime in season 2 as he became part of Team Arrow but we were disappointed when he spent a few episodes doing nothing but lying in a drug-induced coma whilst Oliver and co tried to find a cure to the Mirakuru. He’s proven his loyalty to Oliver and now he’s lost Thea what else does he have in the world? We want Roy kicking ass and taking names.
7. Slade Wilson’s return. In the season finale Slade was locked away on the island so there’s definitely the potential for him to return at some point in the season. Can you imagine him teaming up with Malcolm? It would be Oliver’s worst nightmare but it would provide plenty of conflict.
8. Detective Lance to survive. It wasn’t looking good when he collapsed in the season 2 finale but we hope that Lance makes it. On the one hand his death could be what Laurel needs to get fired up as she joins Team Arrow but we love the character and think he adds to the show. If he does make it then we want to see how the dynamic changes with Laurel now that Sara is gone and he knows she knows the identity of the Arrow.
9. More Lyla Michaels (Aubrey Marie Anderson). Now we know she’s pregnant with Diggle’s child we hope to see more of Lyla in season 3. She’s a great character with lots of potential so it’ll be interesting to see how she’s weaved further into the world of Arrow.
10. A crossover with The Flash. Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) was introduced during Arrow’s second season but we haven’t seen him as The Flash yet. With The Flash getting a season pick-up, and Oliver appearing in the pilot episode of the show, we hope there’s opportunity for a crossover at some point in the season. Plus Felicity never got closure with her fledgling relationship with Barry did she?
Arrow will return this autumn on The CW in the US and Sky 1 HD in the UK.