Pretty Little Liars returns to ABC Family in the US for its fifth season on 10th June and hopefully will be following swiftly on iTunes in the UK.
If you haven’t seen season 4 of Pretty Little Liars and do not like spoilers we suggest you stop reading now. If you’re up-to-date or want to know all about the next season then keep reading.
Ahead of the show’s eagerly anticipated return we’ve been pulling together all of the information we know so you know what to expect from the fifth season. In the season four finale Aria (Lucy Hale), Spencer (Troian Bellisario), Hanna (Ashley Benson) and Emily (Shay Mitchell) finally reunited with Alison (Sasha Pieterse) and found out more information about what happened to her the night she ‘died’.
During the episode’s gripping final moments, Ezra (Ian Harding) got shot protecting the girls from A on a rooftop in New York and Alison’s mother Jessica (Andrea Parker) was seemingly dead and being buried in the same way she buried her own daughter two years earlier.
So what do we know about the new season?
- There will be 25 episodes including one at Christmas instead of the traditional Halloween episode.
- I. Marlene King revealed in a Facebook sneak peek that ‘it’s a season of reunions and homecomings and now that Ali is back an army will be mobilised but A is not in it. Lucas will leave his bunkbeds and head back to Rosewood High and an unexpected PLL will spiral with her boyfriend.”
- Alison will be back full-time in the fold now that the secret of her being alive is out. With her mother dead (it seems Jessica really was killed) Ali will be living with her father Kenneth (Jim Abele).
- Speaking of Jessica being dead, I. Marlene King says that Jessica’s demise will be one of the big mysteries of the season. Who killed her and why?
- #IsEzraAlive – the teasers for the new season put the character’s return in doubt but Ian Harding is contracted to return for the fifth season. In what capacity we’re not sure but we think it’s safe to say Mr Fitz will be back.
- The first episode of the new season, EscApe From New York, will be a continuation of the season 4 finale.
- Caleb (Tyler Blackburn) will be returning full-time to Rosewood after his brief hiatus for spin-off Ravenswood. He will make his return in the 100th episode of the show, Miss Me x 100, which is the fifth episode of the season.
- Toby Cavanaugh (Keegan Allen), Mona Vanderwaal (Janel Parrish), Ashley Marin (Laura Leighton), Melissa Hastings (Torrey DeVitto), Veronica Hastings (Lesley Fera), CeCe Drake (Vanessa Ray), Paige McCullers (Lindsey Shaw), Jenna Marshall (Tammin Sursok), Lucas Gottesman (Brendan Robinson) and Noel Kahn (Brant Daugherty) will all be back at some point in the season.
- Spencer’s classmate Andrew Campbell (Brandon W. Jones), who is clearly in love with her, will be back as a recurring character.
- Chloe Bridges (The Carrie Diaries) will guest on the show as a new member of the swim team called Sydney Driscoll who befriends Emily. She will first appear in the third episode of the season titled Surfing The Aftershocks.
- There is going to be plenty of relationship drama this season. Spencer and Toby are still together, Hanna has been dating Travis (Luke Kleintank) and she kissed Gabriel Holbrook (Sean Faris) but with Caleb back who will she choose, and Emily will be in a triangle with Alison and Paige.
- Will we see an Aria and Ezra reunion now she knows he’s not A? Speaking to E! Online Ian revealed, “They’re going to have to clearly like regain trust, but I don’t think it’s the end. Emphasis on ‘think. I think the love that they have is just so insanely strong, and it’s why such a cerebral, intellectual guy as Ezra decided to say, ‘No, screw you law enforcement, I’m gonna go for this.’ I don’t think that can just simply end because I think Ezra is a good person. He’s just driven by this obsession.”
- Hanna will have more ups and downs. Ashley Benson sent out an Instagram captioned ‘Hanna’s going through it this season’ so we doubt it’ll be sunshine and happiness for her.
Season 5 of Pretty Little Liars premieres in the US on Tuesday 10th June on ABC Family.