The Carrie Diaries has aired its first season in the US but it’s yet to make its way over to the UK.
The show had a bit of a bumpy ride over the course of its first season but it performed well enough for The CW to give it a second season. Fans of Sex and the City seemed divided over the reimagining of Carrie Bradshaw’s younger years but we thought the show was great.
We’ve been having a think about what we want to see when the show returns for its second season. Have a read and see if you agree with us.
1. More Carrie in the city. We know the whole point of the show is to learn more about Carrie’s younger years, but The Carrie Diaries was at its best once our heroine got her internship at Interview magazine. 80s party, fabulous clothes and some entertaining plot-lines are what we want to see much more of.
2. Walt and Bennet getting together. In the first season Bennet opened Walt’s eyes to his true sexuality and we spent the season wanting them to get together. In the finale they appeared to be co-habiting even though Bennet was worried about the age difference. Could love blossom in the second season?
3. More Donna. The tart with a heart was criminally under-used in the show’s first season although we did get to see what she was really like through her unexpected friendship with Walt. Actress Chloe Bridges plays Donna perfectly so we hope she gets some meatier storylines in the next season.
4. Less Mouse. Perhaps a controversial one as the show has tried to establish Carrie’s friendship group in her high school but we found over-achiever Mouse a bit irritating. She didn’t get all that involved in the main storylines and her competitive streak became a little repetitive.
5. Sebastian unleashing his inner bad boy. Let’s be honest, he wasn’t all that bad in the first season was he? We want his love story with Carrie to be more epic, full of drama and hampered by his inability to behave. Is that too much to ask?
6. Crazy Larissa storylines. We have to admit we weren’t thrilled about the casting of Freema Agyman but she surprised us with her flighty performance as loopy magazine editor Larissa. Some of the first season’s best moments happened when she was on-screen so we want to see more of her in season two.
7. More Sex and the City characters. Rumour has it that Samantha will be introduced in the second season as the cousin of Donna LaDonna. We’d really love to see a young Stanford though. Maybe he could be a new friend of Walt’s?
8. Progression for Maggie. Throughout the first season she flitted between Walt and Simon with plenty of deliberating about the situation she got herself into. Her friendship with Carrie hit a rough patch and she made a play for Sebastian. In season two we want to see Maggie redeem herself and be at Carrie’s side for some fun New York adventures.
9. A little less Bradshaw family. We really don’t need to see Carrie’s father Tom hooking up with women do we? He should make guest appearances every so often and let the focus be on Carrie and her New York life. Similarly stroppy Dorrit is a little two dimensional for us. Sure she has a boyfriend but unless she gets some decent stories we’d like to see less of her.
10. Carrie kickstarting her writing career. She was getting closer to it by the end of the first season, especially when she was getting quotes at Madonna’s after-party but we want to see Carrie with her name in lights in season two. From intern to staff writer at Interview maybe?
Do you agree with us? Leave your comments in the usual place and let us know what you want to see in season two.