Eureka Entertainment to release the German silent masterpiece Varieté, E.A. Dupont’s crime of passion set in the circus milieu starring Emil Jannings, in a digitally restored 2K Dual Format edition as part of the Masters of Cinema Series on 23 January 2017.
A key work of German silent cinema and an international smash on its release, E. A. Dupont’s Varieté (Variety) is an audacious revenge melodrama set under the canvas of the big top.
When Boss Huller (the iconic Emil Jannings) meets the young émigré Berta-Marie (Lya De Putti), it kindles his desire to relaunch his career as a trapeze artist, stalled due to an injury and the pressures of domestic life. But with passion comes obsession, and with the involvement of the famed Artinelli into their act, tensions rise to a fever pitch.
Visually astonishing, with some of the most inventive camerawork of the 1920s, and a typically intense and vivid central performance from Jannings, Varieté is presented here in an all-new restoration of the original German version. Featuring three scores: one by Stephen Horne, one by The Tiger Lillies, and one by Johannes Contag.
Varieté (Masters of Cinema) Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition is released by Eureka Entertainment on Monday 23 January 2017 and is available to purchase here http://po.st/aCzkTC
To celebrate the release we’ve got 3 copies to give away to our readers. To be in with a chance of winning answer the simple question below:
The competition closes at 23.59 (GMT) on Friday 3rd February 2017.
Terms & conditions
- The competition is open to all UK residents over the age of 15
- Winners will be selected at random.
- By entering into the competition all entrants agree to be bound by the terms and conditions.
- All information provided by the entrant must be accurate and proof of age may be requested.
- Entertainment Focus does not allow collective or proxy entries.
- Entertainment Focus reserves the right to change or withdraw this competition without notice.
- Entertainment Focus will not pass your details to any third parties and will be used solely for communication regarding this competition.
- Winners will be notified via email or phone (or where applicable) social media (depending on the type of competition) and prizes must be claimed within 5 working days.
- In the unlikely event the prize style has discontinued a similar model to the same value will be provided.
- There is no cash or other alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable. No part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
- Entertainment Focus’ decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into.