Nashville’s third season may have only just begun in the UK but in the US it came to a dramatic close this week.
If you haven’t seen ALL of season 3 yet and want to avoid MAJOR spoilers we suggest you stop reading right now. If you have seen the season and want to hear our thoughts on season 4 then keep reading.
Wednesday’s night saw Nashville’s third season come to a close in the US and it left many things up in the air (as any good season finale should do). The final moments of the episode saw Deacon (Charles Esten) in surgery getting a liver transplant after his wayward sister Beverly (Dana Wheeler-Nicholson) finally agreed to help him. Viewers saw one of the two characters flatline and Caleb (Nick Jandl) took Rayna (Connie Britton) to one side to deliver some bad news. Has one of the characters died?
Juliette (Hayden Panettiere) defied Rayna and signed a new deal with Luke’s (Will Chase) label AND hired Jeff (Oliver Hudson) as her new manager. She also left her marriage to Avery (Jonathan Jackson) on the rocks after refusing to acknowledge her post-partum depression.
Elsewhere Teddy (Eric Close) was finally arrested for his wrong-doings, Will (Chris Carmack) came out as gay during a press conference, Layla (Aubrey Peeples) discovered that Jeff had been lying to her, and Scarlett (Clare Bowen) and Gunnar (Sam Palladio) stopped just short of sharing a kiss.
As we eagerly await for the fourth season of the show to arrive later in the year, we’ve put our thoughts together about the 10 things we want to see from the new season.
1. Goodbye Bev! That’s right folks, we’d happily wave goodbye to Deacon’s mean-spirited and spiteful sister. Yes we know she came good in the end but she only did that because she felt backed into a corner and its clear that she wants to get her revenge on Rayna, who she believes stopped her career before it started. Please let that flatline be hers…
2. Some degree of happiness for Deacon and Rayna. If our first wish comes true that we suspect it’ll cause a pretty big rift with the lovebirds (although surely both of them would be relieved if Beverly was gone?) but we hope that Deacon and Rayna stay, for the most part, on the right path. They’ve both been through so much and Deacon almost losing his life (if he survives of course) should make them appreciate their time together even more.
3. Juliette to deal with her problems for once. The merry-go-round of Juliette’s self-destructive cycle continued in season 3 as she returned to her angry and vicious ways as soon as she had her baby. She has to deal with her post-partum depression and we want to see her genuinely trying to work things through with Avery. The two characters make a great couple and after going through so much already, they could both do with a break.
4. Will and Kevin (Kyle Dean Massey) to stay together. We’ve never shipped a couple as hard as we do these two. Despite a rocky start, Kevin has given Will the strength and confidence to reveal his true self to the world. Not only do they make sweet music together (in more ways than one) but also we felt emotionally invested in their relationship throughout season 3. There will be tough times ahead now Will’s out to the world but we hope they make it through them.
5. A proper Rayna Vs. Juliette showdown. It MUST be on the cards after Juliette jumped ship in the season finale. Rayna will likely be furious and even angrier when she finds out that Luke poached her. Rayna really put her neck on the line to help Juliette when no other label would touch her and she’s been slapped in the face. We’re hoping Rayna goes up against Juliette to stop her releasing her new album and teaches her a lesson.
6. Keep Scarlett and Gunnar apart romantically. OK we know this is going to get us some hate in the comments, and we’re sure that Scarlett and Gunnar will get together eventually, but we like them apart. Caleb has been good for Scarlett and grounded her after her crazy brush with solo stardom. He’s also given her stability through Deacon’s ordeal and he’s a genuinely good guy. We’re interested to see where The Exes go but we hope it’s not straight into another romance.
7. Layla to realise that Jeff is no good! We thought that breakthrough was there in the season finale but she caved in AGAIN! Come on Layla! Show some self worth, repair the bridges Jeff has burned down and look to Rayna for guidance. We can’t wait to see Layla’s reaction when Jeff inevitably shuns her career to look after Juliette instead.
8. Sadie Stone (Laura Benanti) to return. We enjoyed the gal pal relationship with Rayna and we understand Sadie needed space after accidentally killing her no good husband. We want her to come back and explore that spark she had with Luke, and come good for Rayna with a hit album that will help Highway 65’s success.
9. Teddy to go away. We thought Nashville had learned its lesson with the whole Lamar (Powers Boothe) storyline but clearly not. We’re pretty sure absolutely no one tunes in to Nashville for Teddy’s storylines. Put him in prison, allow him to guest star every once in a while but please, PLEASE drop the mayor corruption plots.
10. More Daphne (Maisy Stella) and Maddie (Lennon Stella) performances. Every time these two perform we love it. They are the show’s secret weapons and we like that they got to shine independent of each other in season 3. Give them plenty of performances and continue to let them steal the show.
Nashville’s fourth season will debut this autumn on ABC in the US and likely in 2016 on E4 in the UK.