STUDIOCANAL are delighted to announce the upcoming release of a brand-new restoration of the 80s comedy gem ‘Restless Natives’, available on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital from 1st March 2021.
Starring Vincent Friell (Will) and Joe Mullaney (Ronnie) and directed by Michael Hoffman (‘The Last Station’, ‘One Fine Day’) from a script by Ninian Dunnett this much-loved film from 1985 comes with additional features including a new documentary with cast and crew.
Ronnie and Will are two under-employed Scots living on a housing estate in Edinburgh. Bored and tempted by the untapped wealth of the international tourists that swarm through the city, they hatch a wildly irresponsible plan to achieve wealth and notoriety. Donning a wolf and a clown mask and armed with a puffer gun loaded with homemade mace they politely hold up coachloads of tourists travelling through the Highlands for a bit of cash. The duo soon become a hit with the tourists and the public alike, following in the great tradition of fellow folk heroes Robin Hood and Rob Roy. Their exploits make them a bigger tourist attraction than the Loch Ness Monster, much to the annoyance of the inept local police.
Ned Beatty (‘Network’) also stars as a vacationing CIA Agent Fritz Bender who joins the pursuit of the outlaws, with Bernard Hill (‘The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King’) as Will’s dad and Mel Smith (‘The Princess Bride’) as a schmoozing gangster who wants to cash in on their fame.
Following the home-grown international hits, ‘Gregory’s Girl’ (1981) and ‘Local Hero’ (1983), ‘Restless Natives’ bangs the drum for Scottish cultural pride with its humour, a soaring soundtrack by Big Country and stunning Highlands scenery. This spirited, establishment-mocking caper movie remains a much-loved and thoroughly enjoyable comedy gem.
‘Restless Natives’ is available to buy on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital from 1st March 2021 and available to pre-order here.
Included with the film:
- Audio commentary with Director Michael Hoffman, writer Ninian Dunnett and Producer Andy Patterson
- A Restless Retrospective: Creating A Caledonian Classic feature
- Soundtrack For A Not-so-big-country: The Music of Restless Natives feature
- Behind The Scenes Stills Gallery
‘Restless Natives’ is released as part of the ‘Vintage Classics Collection’ which showcases iconic British films, all fully restored and featuring brand new extra content. The collection includes ‘Kind Hearts & Coronets’, ‘The Dam Busters’, ‘Don’t Look Now’, ‘The Ladykillers’, ‘Far From the Madding Crowd’, ‘The Wicker Man’, ‘The Man Who Fell to Earth’ and many more.
To celebrate the release, we’ve got 2 copies on Blu-ray to give away. Enter below for a chance to win…
This competition closes at 23:59 GMT on Tuesday 2nd March 2021.
Please note that due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, prizes will take longer than normal to be sent out.
Terms & Conditions
- The competition is open to all UK residents over the age of 13.
- Winners will be selected at random.
- By entering into the competition all entrants agree to be bound by the terms and conditions.
- Entertainment Focus does not allow collective or proxy entries.
- Entertainment Focus reserves the right to change or withdraw this competition without notice.
- Entertainment Focus will not pass your details to any third parties and they will be used solely for communication regarding this competition.
- Winners will be notified via email or social media and prizes must be claimed within 5 working days.
- The supplier may change the prize offered without warning.
- There is no cash or other alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable. No part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
- Entertainment Focus’ decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into.