After two Top 10 albums – A Year of Songs (2015) and Upon A Different Shore (2016) – Alexander Armstrong has released his first Christmas album In A Winter Light.
“I’ve always wanted to do an album of Christmas music because it’s such a madly evocative repertoire,” explains the actor, comedian, presenter and classically trained baritone. “No other season has such a mass of varied and beautiful pieces written in celebration of it. Music is right at the heart of any Christmas.”
“Christmas without music would be unthinkable. I mean I daresay you could still find some joy in an old mince pie or something, but just imagine no carols, no Bing, no boys of the NYPD choir, no For Unto Us A Child Is Born, now that really would be bleak midwinter. The truth is we haven’t got time to hang about in December so we use our favourite music each year to take us straight to where we want to be: maybe it’s to savour the more mystical side of Christmas as an ancient religious festival or maybe it’s to celebrate an uproarious winter knees-up with those we love. Or – ideally – a bit of both…“
The songs were scored and arranged by the husband and wife team of James and Juliette Morgan Pochin. James was Armstrong’s organ scholar at Trinity College Cambridge, while Juliette was an alto in the choir at the same time. It’s a fitting and inspired collaboration: the trio’s long connections and shared eclecticism help cohere this classically coloured, elegantly wrapped festive selection box.
To celebrate the release of the album we’ve got 3 signed copies to give away!
This is a social media competition that requires a Twitter account.
To enter you need to Follow @EntFocusMusic on Twitter and RT (ReTweet) any of our tweets that mention this competition.
Entertainment Focus will be tweeting about the competition daily via our @EntFocusMusic account. So look out for our tweets and the more you RT the better your chances.
Here’s our first tweet to get you started:
— EF Music (@entfocusmusic) December 13, 2017
The competition closes at 23.59 (GMT) on Tuesday 19th December 2017.
- The competition is open to all UK residents over the age of 13.
- Winners will be selected at random.
- By entering into the competition all entrants agree to be bound by the terms and conditions.
- Entertainment Focus does not allow collective or proxy entries.
- Entertainment Focus reserves the right to change or withdraw this competition without notice.
- Entertainment Focus will not pass your details to any third parties and they will be used solely for communication regarding this competition.
- Winners will be notified via Twitter and prizes must be claimed within 5 working days.
- In the unlikely event the prize style has discontinued a similar model to the same value will be provided.
- There is no cash or other alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable. No part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
- Entertainment Focus’ decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into.